Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Quick and Easy Ham and Eggs

Not much time to devote to a blog post this evening so I am just going to share with you what I made for dinner. Last night's dinner was all about bacon, tonight's was all about eggs. Apparently I am craving breakfast.


I found this super easy, healthy, five ingredients or less recipe for Spicy Eggs in Ham Baskets on Pinterest and modified it just a little. The good news is this recipe is so simple it leaves tons of room for modifications and additions.  The original recipe can be found here. Here is how I made it:

12 large eggs
12 slices deli ham
Frank's Red Hot Sauce to taste
Fresh chopped basil to taste
Kosher salt and pepper to taste

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Spray a muffin pan with non stick spray and lay a piece of ham over each muffin opening. Place the muffin pan in the oven for five minutes. The ham will crisp up and turn into a little "basket". Crack one egg into each basket. For our family I used 9 whole eggs and three egg whites so that I could have four of these (3 whites, one whole), and the rest of the family could have theirs made with whole eggs.

After you crack the eggs into the baskets, pop the muffin tray back in the oven for another five minutes. Then turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees, and bake another five minutes. The original recipe states when you cook them this way, your eggs will still be a little runny, but mine came out about over medium, which I was fine with. Scoop the egg baskets out of the pan using a rubber spatula. They should come out easily. I garnished mine with salt, pepper, a few drops of Frank's Red Hot Sauce and some fresh chopped basil. They make a cute presentation and they are super tasty. You could also add a little cheese to these or some other herbs or some sliced jalapeƱos (which is what the original recipe calls for but I didn't have any).

I served these with a green salad and some fresh fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment